19 August 2006

Petra (by day)

Petra is awesome!!! Ever since I was a little kid, and saw the movie, "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" I've wanted to see Petra. It is in the scene where Indiana finds the holy grail and drinks from it.

The entrance is exacly like the movie. YOu walk through a canyon for about 30 minutes (called the siq) and then you come up to the main building from the movie, The Treasury. Nothing can prepare you for how amazing this site is. I've seen pictures, and movies on it, but it is much more massive. After seeing a few pictures, I thought it was only like 3 stories tall, but it is closer to 10. The entire site is massive, and guidebooks say that it takes 2 to 3 days to propertly explore Petra.

However, we did get there at 7 AM and stayed until about 5PM, so we were able to see most of the sights. We even walked up to the famous Monastary, which was absolutly worth it. Nothing says devotion like hiking up 800 steps to a monastary in 110 degree weather.

At the end of the day, I looked at my arm and it was just as wet as if I had jumped into a pool. I even drank about 4 huge bottles of water and hadn't had to go to the bathroom all day. You know that that's hot!

No comments: